Animal First Aid Course - ACMGAS206
This unit of competency describes the skills and knowledge required to provide essential first aid for animals by recognising and responding to an emergency using basic first aid measures. The first aider is not expected to deal with complex casualties or incidents, but to provide an initial response where first aid is required.
This unit is applicable to new entrants to the animal care and management industry. Animal care may occur in a wide variety of workplaces, including retail pet stores, kennels and catteries, shelters, veterinary practices, zoos, animal research facilities and others.
This unit applies to individuals who work under general supervision and exercise limited autonomy. They undertake defined activities and work in a structured context.
No occupational licensing, legislative or certification requirements are known to apply to this unit at the time of publication.
NOTE: The terms ‘occupational health and safety’ (OHS) and ‘work health and safety’ (WHS) generally have the same meaning in the workplace. In jurisdictions where the national model WHS legislation has not been implemented, RTOs must contextualise the unit of competency by referring to current OHS legislative requirements.
This Qualification is the industry Qualification for persons operating within a companion animal organisation. It is aimed at employees within a company.
- ACMCAS302A Provide advice on companion animal selection and general care
- ACMCAS303A Provide advice on selection and care of aquatic animals
- ACMCAS304A Capture, handle and transport companion animals
- ACMCAS305A Maintain aquascapes and aquatic animals
- ACMCAS306A Provide grooming services for companion animal comfort
- ACMCAS307A Provide companion animal hydro-bathing services
- ACMGAS207A Provide reception services for an animal care facility
- ACMGAS302A Provide enrichment for animals
- ACMGAS303A Plan for and provide nutritional requirements for animals
- ACMGAS304A Carry out simple breeding procedures
- ACMSPE301A Provide basic care of amphibians
- ACMSPE302A Provide basic care of birds
- ACMSPE303A Provide basic care of common native mammals
- ACMSPE304A Provide basic care of dogs
- ACMSPE305A Provide basic care of domestic cats
- ACMSPE306A Provide basic care of marine fish
- ACMSPE307A Provide basic care of freshwater fish
- ACMSPE308A Provide basic care of marine aquatic invertebrates
- ACMSPE309A Provide basic care of terrestrial and freshwater invertebrates
- ACMSPE310A Provide basic care of mammals
- ACMSPE311A Provide basic care of non-venomous reptiles
- ACMSPE312A Provide basic care of rodents and rabbits
- BSBFLM309C Support continuous improvement systems and processes
- BSBFLM312B Contribute to team effectiveness
- BSBINM301A Organise workplace information
- SIRXCCS201 Apply point-of-sale handling procedures
- SIRXFIN201 Balance and secure point-of-sale terminal
- SIRXICT001A Operate retail technology
- SIRXICT303 Operate retail information technology systems
- SIRXINV001A Perform stock control procedures
- SIRXMER303 Coordinate merchandise presentation
- SIRXMER004A Manage merchandise and store presentation